Sunday 14 June 2015

Quick trip to Kodaikanal



This week I had to go to Kodaikanal on work. I considered myself lucky. Its not everyday that you get to legitimately leave 42 degrees C and climb into the hills. Kodai was a lovely 19 and my work was done with a couple of hours to go for sunset.

Although for most tourists the highlight of a trip to Kodai would be a boat ride on the lake, I myself prefer walking along the quieter non-touristy parts of the hill-station. This is a view of the boat houses from across the lake. In an attempt to keep the water clean the municipality have fenced off the lake from the pavement. I snuck in through a small opening and sat on a low wall. My feet hung down over some reeds and dense plants. 
Halfway through I was juggling my staedtler 0.7 liner into my bag and trying to get my watercolours out and down went the 0.7! Boo hoo, not only did I lose a pen but I also polluted the poor lake!

Another highlight for me when I visit Kodai in summer is the fruits! We all rave about the mangoes (and they truly are the world's best fruit) but summer in Madras also means plums and peaches from the hills. I took a walk to the fruit stalls to buy some plums and realised there are a whole range of summer fruits up on offer!

Plums, tree tomatoes, egg fruits (so called because the soft sweet flesh is the colour of a golden yolk) grapefruit, passion fruit, star fruit, avocado, pears, fresh badam, chikoo, and of course banana pineapple and apple. I first bought some plums from the shop on the right. He made me taste a half-dozen other fruit and I promised to be back the next day to buy more stuff. Then I walked across to the pavement opposite the shops and started my sketch.


Halfway through my sketch a passer-by alerted the shopkeeper that he was featuring in my drawing. He came and looked at it and was very pleased. Soon the next door shop guy came out to take a look. Then others were summoned. Finally the shop owners wife was called out. Someone shouted "Come and see how she's drawn your husband!"A smiling shy muslim lady came bustling out of the shop, took the book from me and exclaimed in surprise. Then she smiled and ran back inside. Someone else joked that I had passed the test.

The next day I only managed a quick watercolour of John enjoying his morning coffee and book. We were very lucky with the weather. It stayed clear throughout the time that we were out.
Just before leaving I went as promised back to the fruit shop to buy more fruit to take back to Madras. The wife recognised me and gave me a really good deal! Three cheers to sketching!

6 comments:

  1. Lovely sketches and a delightful account. It seems to have been a really productive trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, It was a great trip in terms of work and sketching!

      Delete
  2. Ohh wonderful sketching kb :) and I miss that place, I have been there only once and that too in my 4th class. Planning to visit it one more time. M sure such act makes these people to caught up with art for sometime. Loved to be here :)
    http://www.crimsonapril.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tara! You should definitely go back. And go when school vacations are not on. You will have a lovely peaceful time.

      Delete
  3. Hi Kalpana! Not only are your sketches out of this world, your narrative too is delightfully inspiring and a real snapshot of the whole experience of sketching!! I was thinking of taking a sketchbook with me tomorrow as I visit the India Visa Application centre for my daughters' passports. Reading your blog and looking at your sketches everyday has made me remember to pack my pencils, pens and sketchbook into the bag along with the passports and the visa pictures of my girls!
    Thankyou for always being such a huge inspiration. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ruchita. That's such a lovely and inspiring comment for me :-)
      Look forward to seeing your sketches!

      Delete